99 Revolutions

  • songfacts ®
  • Artistfacts ®
  • Lyrics
  • This song was inspired by the Occupy movement and the band's political frustration. Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong told NME it, "deals with everything, not just lefties but it goes all the way up to cops and firemen and unions, and that's where we come from, the working class. It's in our DNA."
  • Armstrong and his bandmates have been participating in the protests in Oakland since 2011. "We wanted to be part of it in some way," the frontman explained to Rolling Stone. "I thought it was about working people and where we come from. But Oakland got really complicated when the anarchists started coming in. I'm not into that - smashing the windows in a small business."
  • The song title comes from the movement's slogan We are the 99%, a reference to the concentration of wealth among the top 1% of income earners compared to the other 99 percent. Armstrong admitted to Rolling Stone, "I feel like a 99, but technically I'm a 1. You know, ['99 Revolutions'] was an easy song to write. I know that's where I come from - the 99 - even though I can afford for my kids to go to a good college."
Please sign in or register to post comments.

Comments

Be the first to comment...

Alan Merrill of The ArrowsSongwriter Interviews

In her days with The Runaways, Joan Jett saw The Arrows perform "I Love Rock And Roll," which Alan Merrill co-wrote - that story and much more from this glam rock pioneer.

Director Paul Rachman on "Hunger Strike," "Man in the Box," KissSong Writing

After cutting his teeth on hardcore punk videos, Paul defined the grunge look with his work on "Hunger Strike" and "Man in the Box."

American Hits With Foreign TitlesSong Writing

What are the biggest US hits with French, Spanish (not "Rico Suave"), Italian, Scottish, Greek, and Japanese titles?

Ed Roland of Collective SoulSongwriter Interviews

The stories behind "Shine," "December," "The World I Know" and other Collective Soul hits.

Jesus Christ Superstar: Ted Neeley Tells the Inside StorySong Writing

The in-depth discussion about the making of Jesus Christ Superstar with Ted Neeley, who played Jesus in the 1973 film.

Shaun Morgan of SeetherSongwriter Interviews

Shaun breaks down the Seether songs, including the one about his brother, the one about Ozzy, and the one that may or may not be about his ex-girlfriend Amy Lee.