Lyrically, there are a lot of concepts floating around in this song, particularly when we find out the guy in the song has "highbrow Marxist ways." Mishra was influenced by the authors Andrea Dworkin and Wilhelm Reich, and on his website
explained that the song is about, in part:
1) Being a member of an orthodox Trotskyist / Marxist movement.
2) Being a straight guy in love with a lesbian.
3) Being a gay guy in love with a straight man.
4) Being a straight girl in love with a lying, two-timing, fake-ass Marxist.
5) The hypocrisy that results when love and lust get mixed up with highbrow ideals.
He says the first two came from personal experience.